The School Information (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2012 came into force on 1 September 2012. This requires the Governing Body to arrange for specific information which must be published on the school website.
1. School Contact Details:
King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls,
Rose Hill Road,
Telephone – 0121 554 2342
For queries please email the address below, emails will be forwarded to the most appropriate person.
Chair of the governing body:
Mr David Wheeldon
c/o The Schools of King Edward the Sixth in Birmingham
Edgbaston Park Road
Special Educational Needs (SEN) co-ordinator
Mrs R Miras-Pye, please address any postal queries to the school address or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL)
Miss J Glendenning – Assistant Head
Miss C Berry – Deputy Head
Mr N Heppel – Assistant Head
The Data Protection Officer for the Academy Trust is Laura Ganderton.
Telephone: 0121 472 1147
Post: Foundation Office, Edgbaston Park Road, Birmingham B15 2UD.
The Data Protection Lead for this school is Mr C Trotter
King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls is part of the King Edward VI Multi Academy Trust (MAT)
King Edward VI Academy Trust Birmingham
Foundation Office, Edgbaston Park Road, Birmingham B15 2UD
Tel: 0121 472 1147
2. Admissions Arrangements:
Admission to the school for year 7 entry is made via the “Grammar Schools in Birmingham” website using the link below. Open day information for all Grammar Schools in Birmingham may also be found on their site when they are known. The admission policy and catchment area links explain how we give priority to children who have received free school meals in the last 6 years and based on the location of their home.
- The Grammar Schools in Birmingham Admission information
- School Admission policy: September 2020: click here.
- King Edward VI Handsworth School For Girls Catchment Area
- This information may also be accessed on the Birmingham local Authority’s composite prospectus published at
3. Ofsted Reports
School Ofsted Reports can be located on the school website: https://www.kingedwardvi.bham.sch.uk/aboutm us/ofsted/
Click on the link to see the School’s reports on the OFSTED Website.
4. Exam and assessment Results
2019 Exam and assessment results are provisional and pending official release of validated data in January. Actual exam results for 2019 can been here: Exam Results 2019
Key Stage 4 results: 2019
|Progress 8 Score||0.65|
|Attainment 8 score||74.8|
|Percentage of pupils achieving grade 5 or above in Maths and English||98.8%|
|Percentage of pupils entering the English Baccalaureate||88.3%|
|EBacc average Point Score||7.07|
|Percentage of pupils staying in education or employment after key stage 4 (2018)||100%|
Key Stage 5 (16-19) results: 2018
|Progress in English and Maths||None entered in Key Stage 5|
|Progress compared to students across England||A Levels: -0.11 All “Level 3” academic qualifications: -0.20 (Late EPQ grade changes included = -0.16)|
|Average grade||A Levels: B , All “Level 3” academic qualifications: B|
|Student retention (percentage who complete the study programme)||99.3% (2017 data)|
|Student destination (percentage who continue into education, employment or training )||90% (2015 cohort – latest figures from DfE)|
16-18 Performance tables can be seen here
5. Performance tables
The latest School performance tables summarised above can be found here.
- Information about the content of the curriculum content for each subject and any other additional information can be accessed via the school website at: https://www.kingedwardvi.bham.sch.uk/curriculum/
- Our curriculum policy outlines our approach and curriculum offer at King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls.
At GCSE the following courses are offered:
- Biology, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Mathematics, Physics, a Modern Foreign Language (French or German) and a Humanity (Geography, History or Religious Studies).
Options (Two subjects are chosen from the following):
- Art, Computing, Design and Technology, Drama, French, Food and Nutrition, Geography, German, History, Music, PE and Religious Studies.
In the sixth form the following subjects are offered:
- Art*, Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Drama*, Economics, English Literature, French*, Geography, German*, History, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Music*, Physics, Psychology and Religious Studies. All A level subjects are only offered if numbers are sufficient to run the course. In addition all students carry out an Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) during year 12 and 13.
* As collaborative subjects with Trust schools locally.
7. Behaviour Policy
8. Pupil Premium
9. Special Educational needs and disabilities (SEND)
10. Careers Programme Information
King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls is committed to providing a comprehensive and planned programme of impartial careers education and advice. We seek to do this through these website pages, our careers events throughout the academic year and our Careers Advisor, Mrs Connor.
Mrs N Daniel (Assistant Headteacher with responsibility for CEAIG)
Mrs J Nolan (Post 16 Careers, Enrichment and Work Related Learning Coordinator)
Mrs N Connor (Careers Advisor)
Mrs Connor is in the Careers Office every Wednesday and is available either via pre-arranged appointments or for drop ins during break and lunchtime.
New Careers Statutory Guidance
The DfE released a new statutory guidance document in January 2018, including a number of new requirements for school careers programmes, most of which are to be met by the end of 2020. Many of the requirements are already met at King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls, but we will be working towards those that are not.
11. Equality objectives
12. Complaints policy
13. Annual reports and accounts
14. Governors and Trustees information and duties
15. Charging and remission policies
16. Values and ethos
Should you require a paper copy of any of the information detailed on our website, please contact the main school office on 0121 554 2342.