Our School Offer

What are Special Educational Needs?

“A learning difficulty is a difficulty in acquiring knowledge and skills to the level expected of those of the same age.”

We provide SEND support for students who have significant difficulties in the following four areas:

  • Cognition and learning: for example, moderate and multiple learning difficulties such as dyslexia and dyspraxia
  • Communication and interaction: for example, autistic spectrum conditions, speech and language difficulties
  • Social, emotional and mental health: for example, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), depression, anxiety
  • Sensory and/or physical needs: for example, visual impairment, hearing impairment, physical disability.

There are times when students have more complex needs that span across more than one of the areas above, and we will always endeavour to do our best to meet their needs.

At King Edward VI Handsworth School, we focus on inclusive, high quality teaching and make the reasonable adjustments required to welcome all students who have been successful in gaining a place in our school.

If my child has a Special Educational Need or Disability will this affect the offer of a place at KEVIHS?

No. Admission to the School is through selection tests and in so far as it is compatible with the efficient use of resources, King Edward VI Handsworth School will attempt to meet the needs of those students with special educational needs and disabilities. We are committed to offering an inclusive curriculum to ensure the best possible progress for all of our students whatever their needs or abilities.

How does the School know if my child needs extra help?

THE SENDCo and Pastoral Leader (PL) for Year 7 liaise very closely with all of our feeder primary schools to ensure we have all necessary SEN information regarding each pupil, carrying out visits where appropriate. The SENDCo may be invited to Year 6 Annual Reviews or other meetings around the student. External agencies contact the school at transition, regarding students who already receive their support. We use KS2 Results, Teacher Assessments and carry out in-house testing in maths, reading, spelling and writing during Key Stage 3, to identify students who might need further support. This is done whilst the pupil is in Year 6 to ensure the smoothest transition possible. We also work very closely with parents who are able to advise us on their child’s needs and strategies that have proved successful in the past.

All staff at KEVIHS are obliged to raise any concerns regarding a child, whether that be academic or otherwise. Teaching staff may raise concerns where there appears to still be a need despite adapted lessons. Additional information is requested from all subject teachers to establish the pattern of need. Progress information collected as part of the school’s assessment recording and reporting policy is also reviewed.

We are able to work closely with external agencies primarily from Birmingham City Council, Access to Education who are able to assess and identify those pupils requiring any additional support.

What should I do if I think my child may have a special educational need or disability?

Points which you may want to consider:

– Why you think your child has a SEND?

– Does your child learn at the same rate as other children their age?

– What may school be able do to help?

– What may you be able to do to help?

Notify the school who will inform the SENDCo of your concerns. School will consider all the information available to them from the primary school, the data, including standardised test scores, teacher views and class assessments. It may be necessary to see your GP as there may need to be a referral for further medical assessment. Once the information has been considered the SENDCo will get in touch to discuss next steps.

If your child is currently a student at KEVIHS and you have a new concern regarding special educational needs please contact the SENDCo directly using the normal channels of communication with school.

How will you let me know about my child’s support?

Communication is via one or more of the following:

  • Contact from the SENDCO, Pastoral Leader (PL) or a member of teaching staff via   email, letter or telephone.
  • Parents’ evening appointments
  • Invitations to meetings with appropriate staff members.
  • ‘Meet the SENDCo’ opportunities
  • Annual reviews for those with EHCPs.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

Every teacher is a teacher of SEND. We provide high quality teaching as the starting point of good SEND teaching and support. This means that each teacher will adapt each lesson accordingly to support their needs. The SENDCo is in regular communication with the teaching staff body and delivers professional learning and development sessions to ensure that staff are well equipped to support your child. The effective identification of a student’s needs and communication of those needs via the pupil profile informs staff of the adaptations required so that teaching staff can make reasonable adjustments. This ensures that each child, regardless of their special educational need or disability, will be able to fully access of all parts of the curriculum. We can further support where appropriate through our SEND team. Subject-specific intervention sessions are provided by teaching staff at specific times throughout the year. Specialist equipment may be provided for students, where necessary. Examination Access Arrangements are applied for where there is a history of need and sufficient evidence to support an application. When it comes to GCSE choices your child will be guided to choose the best subjects for them to ensure they are able to achieve the best possible grades.

How will you make decisions about how much support my child will receive?

We track student progress, listen to students’ and parents’ views and use this information together with the judgements of other professionals where appropriate to create a picture of need and allocate support accordingly. We ASSESS, PLAN, DO and REVIEW the support and interventions we offer to ensure that they are appropriate and adequate for the student. For students with an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP), decisions are taken by the LA, using information from the Annual Review process. For student’s with identified SEN but without an ECHP, the decision regarding the support required will be taken by the SENDCO in consultation with staff and the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) during the ASSESS, PLAN, DO, REVIEW process. Changes in a student’s circumstances which have an effect on their well-being may lead to certain interventions being arranged.

How will I know how my child is doing?

Reviews are issued termly to parents of all students. This indicates how they are progressing in their subjects as well as the level of effort that they are putting in.  Parents are invited to attend Parents Evenings. As part of the Graduated Approach (ASSESS, PLAN, DO, REVIEW) cycle a student with SEND will have a Pupil Profile which is created with the input of the student and their parents, detailing the student’s needs and the adaptations they require. This document will be reviewed at least once a year with all stakeholders to ensure the information remains accurate and relevant. There will also be ‘Meet the SENDCo’ opportunities held every half term where discussions can be held regarding how your child is doing. It is not just academic progress that can be discussed but also the holistic progress and development of the child.  Students who have an Education Health and Care Plan will have Statutory Annual Reviews.

How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

We are proud of our strong home-school partnerships and work collaboratively with all stake holders to ensure the best outcomes for your child.

Additionally, we are able to put you in contact with other educational professionals who can give more specific advice and guidance for supporting your child’s special educational need or disability.

You can also engage in the following activities which will be beneficial when supporting your child’s learning

  • Express interest in your child’s schooling, enquire about their school day.
  • Support the curriculum with family-based activities, visits to places of interest.
  • Read together, discuss the news and any other topical issues
  • Know your child’s academic and learning targets and actively encourage your child to work towards them.
  • Check the homework planner regularly.
  • Attend parents meeting as well as planning and review meetings
  • Encourage your child to attend subject support, booster and revision sessions on offer at different times during the week and advertised via the school website and daily bulletins.
  • Encourage your child to engage in extra-curricular activities to gain a wider experience of school.
  • Follow the advice you are given by staff and external agencies.
  • Visit the school website and the links to relevant information.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

Students have a designated form tutor who they see every morning who monitors their attendance and will nurture a relationship with them. The PL works with the form tutor and the SENDCo, to ensure the needs of the student are met. Personal well-being forms part of the SMSC curriculum via the PSHCE Programme as well as via assemblies, special presentations and outside speakers. The Pastoral Team supports students with behaviour, bereavement, emotional support and well-being and can offering counselling or support from external agencies. The Behaviour for Learning Policy ensures that students have boundaries and that their achievements are acknowledged. Emotional well-being is protected through the Anti-Bullying Policy, CBT and Counselling. Extra-curricular activities provide an opportunity to socialise with a wide variety of students. Student Voice gives students the opportunity to express their views.

What specialist services and expertise could be available for my child?


  • SENDCo
  • Experienced and qualified Pastoral Support Department.
  • Learning support assistants based in the Learning Hub
  • Pastoral Support worker for KS3, KS4 and KS5
  • CBT sessions via My Time
  • Holistic Counselling sessions via the Well-being crew

Local Authority Support Services

  • ENTRUST Tel; 0300 111 8030
  • Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service  (SENDIASS) 
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Hearing Impairment Team (HI)
  • Visual Impairment Team (VI)
  • Physical Disability Support Service (PDSS)
  • Occupational Therapist 
  • Communication Autism Team (CAT)
  • Children’s Services
  • Education Welfare Officer (EWO)
  • Careers Advice

We also work with CAMHS (Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service) who are able to signpost and support both pupils, parents and staff.

What training or expertise do your staff have?

The SENDCo is a qualified teacher with the National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-ordination. The SENDCo attends the termly SENDCo updates offered by Birmingham City Council. There is in-house and specialist CPLD offered to all staff in aspects of SEN through the annual programme of CPLD. There is a CPD Library available for staff to access including books, articles and journals on different aspects of SEND provision. Specific training in aspects of SEN is funded for staff via the appraisal system, linked to the School and Team Improvement Plans. The Governor with specific responsibility for SEN has received SEN Governor training.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

SEN students are encouraged to attend any of the extra-curricular activities on offer in the school and reasonable adjustments are made to ensure that most, if not all are accessible to students with SEN. Information about the activities on offer is available on the website or via the form tutor. The SEND Department is available at unstructured times for students to socialise with other students, play games and take time out if required. School will complete the relevant risk assessments for out of school activities to enable students to attend activities. SEN students are encouraged to apply for positions of responsibility within the school such as Form Captain and Librarian posts. The school tries to ensure that SEN students play a part in any Student Voice activity and are represented in all aspects of school life.

How accessible is the school environment?

Please refer to the school’s Accessibility Policy and plan here.


Please be aware that King Edward VI Handsworth School operates on a large site with a number of multiple buildings, accessible only via stairs.

How will the school prepare and support my child when joining KEVIHS or transferring to a new school or post-16 provision?

Primary Transition

  • Strong links with primary schools. Transfer of information begins May Y6.
  • Primary transition meetings may take place with Y6 teachers, Year 7 PL and/or SENDCo
  • Extra transition sessions are provided for SEN students and their parents, over and above the LA Transition Days for all students.
  • The SENDCO may be invited to attend Y6 Annual Review or other meetings for identified students planning to attend this school.

Post-16 and Post-18 Transition

  • Careers Advice from Y9 onwards.
  • Careers education in the curriculum, including information about post-16 and Post-18 options 
  • Information provided regarding Post-16 and Post -18 alternative provision.
  • Transition meetings are arranged and relevant information is shared with support staff at the college or training provider.
  • Future Planning as part of Annual Review/EHCP and Student Profile review meetings.

How does the school allocate resources to match the needs of students with SEN?

All staff are teachers of SEND and receive training to enable them to meet the variety of needs of students in the classroom. The school and teaching staff will make reasonable adjustments to meet the needs of students with SEN. The school has a SEND Department with its own dedicated space called the ‘Learning Hub.’ The SEND Department is led by the SENDCo and includes a team of 2 learning support assistants who provide a variety of support and interventions including 1:1 mentoring/counselling and various group work to target areas that may be a barrier to their learning. The school will make reasonable adjustments to provide specialist resources and equipment where the need is identified. The SENDCo is also a qualified assessor who can carry out many of the necessary assessments required to apply for Examination Access Arrangements.

How will my child be involved in planning for their education?

All students are expected to take responsibility for their learning. They are expected to keep their homework planners up-to-date. Students are encouraged to talk to their form or subject teachers, PL, SENDCo and any other member of staff with whom they feel comfortable when they have a problem or need advice. Students are given support and advice before making informed decisions about their options at the end of Year 9 including access to 1:1 careers guidance interviews. The student takes the central role in the drawing up of the Pupil Profile and is encouraged to lead the discussions about how their learning could be improved, i.e. what is needed to help them to achieve their targets. Education and Health Care Plan Review meetings are ‘pupil-centred’ and have the student and parent at the centre.

How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

We are proud of our effective home-school partnerships and we always encourage all parents/carers to be actively involved in all discussions about their child and planning for their child’s education. This can be done in person at the ‘Meet the SENDCo’ half-termly opportunities, but also through informal chats via telephone and email communication is welcomed too. This endeavours to ensure that parents are fully involved throughout the academic year and not just at the meetings.

You will be invited to:

  • Attend the Open Evenings for this and other schools at times of transition.
  • Attend Parents’ Evenings and Information Evenings offered by the school.
  • Maintain two-way communication between you and the SENDCo/PL.
  • Attend any planning meetings about your child’s needs which may include discussions with external agencies

How will the School know that SEN provision is effective?

The Head teacher and Governors ensure that there are rigorous self-evaluation procedures in place to monitor quality assurance. If the provision is effective then your child will be happy in school, with an excellent attendance record and will be achieving the expected level of progress. You and your child will play a part in the Graduated Approach (ASSESS, PLAN, DO, REVIEW) process where the school will gather information about the progress of your child through regular review of assessment data which will indicate if your child is making expected progress and this will be shared with you. Interventions will be assessed to evaluate their impact and this information will be used to plan the support and intervention required to meet your child’s needs within school.

What do the abbreviations mean?

There are many terms used in school and the world of SEND which are be abbreviated.

Below is a glossary of some of the most used SEND terms that may help you navigate around:


ADD Attention Deficit Disorder

ADHD Attention Deficit & Hyperactivity Disorder

ASC Autistic Spectrum Condition

ASD Autistic Spectrum Disorder

BESD Behavioural Emotional & Social Difficulties

CAT Communication and Autism Team

CAF / fCAF Common Assessment Framework / family Common Assessment Framework

CAMHS Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service

COP Code of Practice

CP Child Protection

CT Class Teacher

DCD Developmental Co-ordination Disorder (e.g. dyspraxia)

EAL English as an Additional Language

EHCP Educational Health and Care Plan

EP Educational Psychologist

FSM Free School Meals

HI Hearing Impairment

HQT High Quality Teaching

LAC Looked After Child

LA Local Authority

MLD Moderate Learning Difficulty

OT Occupational Therapist

PP Pupil Premium

PSS Pupil and School Support

QFT Quality First Teaching (now known as High Quality Teaching)

SaLT Speech & Language Therapy

SEN Special Educational Needs

SEND Special Educational Needs & Disability

SENCo Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator

SHAS School Health advisory Service (School nurses)

SpLD Specific Learning Difficulty (e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia)

SS Sensory Support

TOD Teacher of the Deaf

QTVI Qualified Teacher for Vision Impairment

VI Vision Impairment

What should I do if I have a complaint?

Parents should raise their concerns with the person they feel is most appropriate. This is likely to be through contact with the relevant PL, SENDCo or a member of the Senior Leadership Team. The relevant person will consider the best way of dealing with the concerns raised according to the circumstances. It is preferable for all concerned that issues raised are resolved at an informal stage rather than later. If parents are still not satisfied with the outcome, they can refer to the formal procedure set out in the School’s Complaints Policy.

Who can I contact for further information?

Contact your child’s form tutor with any initial concerns. This can be done by communicating via your child’s planner or email. To contact the SENDCo, please address any postal queries to the school address or email office@kingedwardvi.bham.sch.uk